MCA's Annual Conference
Celebrating the Unbreakable Profession
MCA is excited to announce that our 2021 Annual Conference will be virtual!
The conference will take place May 14, 2021, and the theme is CELEBRATING THE UNBREAKABLE PROFESSION.
Join counselors and mental health professionals across Michigan for our annual conference. Together we will celebrate the profession that endured licensure challenges and a global pandemic. Through keynote and breakout sessions, we will increase our knowledge and professional skills.
Welcome and Announcements | 9:00-9:15 AM
Keynote Session | 9:15-10:15 AM
Breakout Session | 10:30-11:30 AM
- Creating Military Cultural Competent Civilian Public Schools: Engaging Military-Connected Students and Their Families| Tiffany Taylor, M.Ed., LPC, CSGC
- What is Going Well? Shifting Perspective to Cope During Challenging Times | Dr. Camille Humes, EdD, LPC(MI), LCPC(IL), NCC, I/ECMH-C, IMH-E
- Resiliency over Survivorship | Jessica Ross, MA, LPC, CCTP, CST
- Healing Trauma through Language, Lamenting, and Reframing | LaShonda Fuller, Ph.D., LPC, NCC, Melissa Ruby Johnson, B.A., & Zane Kathryne Schwaiger, B.A.
- Counseling Tools for Teens - Addressing Anxiety and Depression |Alena Grieser, MA, LPC
Lunch and Sponsor Visits | 11:30-12:15 PM
Breakout Session | 12:15-1:15 PM
- Who is counseling the counselor? Mediation stress and burnout in counselors | Mary Thomas, Ph.D., LPC, NCC, ACS
- Applications of Buddhist-derived mindfulness-based interventions to counseling practice and counselor self-care. | Elvita Kondili, Ph.D., LPC, Varinder Kaur, Ph.D., LPC, & Olivia Maleckas
- Creating Resilient Clients: Black Women and Sexual Violence | LaShonda Miller, LLPC, NCC, CTP-C
- Surviving Subpoenas, Depositions, and Courtroom Testimony as a Counselor | Stephanie T. Burns, Ph.D., LPC, NCC & Daniel R. Cruikshanks, Ph.D., LPC
- Acculturative Stress, Loneliness, and Depressive Symptoms in International Students: A Moderation Analysis of Sense of Meaning |Heyde Marques Luz, Ph.D., LPC-R
Breakout Session | 1:30-2:30 PM
- Utilizing Principles of Posttraumatic Growth to Assist Clients Coping with Significant Loss | Beth Bolthouse, MA, MS, LPC
- Building Self Care and Resilience with Mindfulness and Mindful Self Compassion | Cheryl Blackington, M.Ed., CMT
- Building Shame Resilience in Clients |Chrisfa Pierrant, B.S. & Christina Bitson, B.A.
- Navigating the Slippery Slopes of Telehealth: Ethical Considerations for Counselors |Kendra L. Jackson, Ph.D., LPC, NCC & Jenny L. Chien, Ph.D., LPC (MI), LMHC (FL), Qualified Supervisor (FL)
- Social Justice Advocacy in Education: Hearing the Voices of female African American Faculty | Tezonia Morgan, Ph.D., NCC, ACS & Saudia L. Twine, Ph.D., NCC, LPC, LLMFT
Keynote Session | 2:45-3:45 PM
- Session Description Forthcoming | Dr. Charmayne Adams
Wrap Up and Giveaways | 4:00-4:30 PM
SCECH's and CEU's Available.