MCA's Annual Conference - May 14, 2021
Celebrating the Unbreakable Profession
Join counselors and mental health professionals across Michigan for our annual conference. Together we will celebrate the profession that endured licensure challenges and a global pandemic. Through keynote and breakout sessions, we will increase our knowledge and professional skills.
Welcome and Announcements | 9:00-9:15 AM
Keynote Session | 9:15-10:15 AM
Breakout Session | 10:30-11:30 AM
- What is Going Well? Shifting Perspective to Cope During Challenging Times | Dr. Camille Humes, EdD, LPC(MI), LCPC(IL), NCC, I/ECMH-C, IMH-E
- Resiliency over Survivorship | Jessica Ross, MA, LPC, CCTP, CST
- Healing Trauma through Language, Lamenting, and Reframing | LaShonda Fuller, Ph.D., LPC, NCC, Melissa Ruby Johnson, B.A., & Zane Kathryne Schwaiger, B.A.
- Counseling Tools for Teens - Addressing Anxiety and Depression |Alena Grieser, MA, LPC
Lunch | 11:30-12:15 PM
Breakout Session | 12:15-1:15 PM
- Who is counseling the counselor? Mediation stress and burnout in counselors | Mary Thomas, Ph.D., LPC, NCC, ACS
- Applications of Buddhist-derived mindfulness-based interventions to counseling practice and counselor self-care. |Varinder Kaur, Ph.D., LPC, & Sylvia Lindinger-Sternart, Ph.D.
- Creating Resilient Clients: Black Women and Sexual Violence | LaShonda Miller, LLPC, NCC, CTP-C
- Surviving Subpoenas, Depositions, and Courtroom Testimony as a Counselor | Stephanie T. Burns, Ph.D., LPC, NCC & Daniel R. Cruikshanks, Ph.D., LPC
Breakout Session | 1:30-2:30 PM
- Utilizing Principles of Posttraumatic Growth to Assist Clients Coping with Significant Loss | Beth Bolthouse, MA, MS, LPC
- Building Self Care and Resilience with Mindfulness and Mindful Self Compassion | Cheryl Blackington, M.Ed., CMT (NBCC CEU not available)
- Building Shame Resilience in Clients |Chrisfa Pierrant, B.S. & Christina Bitson, B.A. (NBCC CEU not available)
- Navigating the Slippery Slopes of Telehealth: Ethical Considerations for Counselors |Kendra L. Jackson, Ph.D., LPC, NCC & Jenny L. Chien, Ph.D., LPC (MI), LMHC (FL), Qualified Supervisor (FL)
- Social Justice Advocacy in Education: Hearing the Voices of female African American Faculty | Tezonia Morgan, Ph.D., NCC, ACS & Saudia L. Twine, Ph.D., NCC, LPC, LLMFT
Keynote Session | 2:45-3:45 PM
- Putting the Fish Back In the Water: Working with Clients within the Context of their Intergenerational Trauma and Cultural Resilience | Dr. Charmayne Adams
Wrap Up and Giveaways | 3:45-4:15 PM
5 General SCECHs available for full conference attendance.
5 CEUs Available - The MCA is NBCC ACEP Provider No. 2023. Sessions not offering CEUs are listed above.